The South Dakota Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (SD EPSCoR) office is seeking a qualified communications intern for projects to be completed during Summer 2017.
Applicants must be undergraduate students who will be a sophomore, junior or senior at a South Dakota public, private or tribal university or college in the Fall 2017 semester. Ideal candidates will have an interest in science journalism.
Complete applications consist of a cover letter and resume from the student, a letter of reference from a faculty member of the applicant’s home department and an unofficial copy of the applicant’s school transcripts (from Webadvisor). The complete application should be sent electronically to Danielle.Murray@sdstate.edu as single PDF document. Alternatively, it can be mailed to the address on the application. Application deadline is April 7.
Applicants selected for interview will be expected to provide a portfolio of completed work as described in qualifications.
Under the supervision of the Communications Officer:
- Produce media alerts and news releases
- Support with development and distribution of SD EPSCoR monthly newsletter
- Develop highlights related to student research
- Promote SD EPSCoR effectively to the public
- Assist with social media communications
- Administrative support
- Event planning support
- Light travel to events/meetings
- Must be a current undergraduate student who will be a sophomore, junior or senior in the Fall 2017 semester leading to a bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Mass Communication, Public Relations, Multimedia or other related field in a South Dakota public, private or tribal university or college.
- Must have demonstrable knowledge and experience with photography/videography.
- The items in the portfolio must demonstrate knowledge of
- Mass communication principles and practices including news writing, social media, graphic design, photojournalism and video editing.
- Adobe Creative Suites software including Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator
- Microsoft Office
- Must be willing and able to travel within South Dakota. Applicants must hold a valid South Dakota driver’s license.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Web hosting and/or WordPress experience is desired but not required.
Internship will run for 12 weeks beginning May 28, 2017. This is a paid position at a rate of $10/hr paid on monthly basis.
Contact Dani Murray at Danielle.Murray@sdstate.edu or 605-688-6231 with questions or more information.