The South Dakota Research, Excellence: A Critical Hallmark (REACH) Committee was formed to serve as a liaison organization between South Dakota institutions of higher education, the National Science Foundation and other federal organizations, private science and/or engineering research organizations, state government and industrial and commercial interests.
The REACH Committee also provides an independent and unbiased coordination of the SD EPSCoR initiatives:
- Seek funding and assess the requirements for improved academic research initiatives supported by the Committee,
- Formulate programs and procedures to stimulate and maintain a sustained, viable research infrastructure in the state of South Dakota emphasizing its impact on economic development,
- Serve as an educational resource for the general populace concerning scientific research and its economic value,
- Seek to achieve competitive research in science, math, engineering, and technology transfer including the encouragement of increased entrance into such fields by the state’s youth, and
- Serve as a catalyst to stimulate the collaboration between the federal government, state government, and industry dedicated to scientific research and infrastructure development within the state.