DOE EPSCoR Implementation Grants
The U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (DOE EPSCoR) announces its interest in receiving new and renewal applications from applicants within eligible jurisdictions for Implementation Grants.
Grants awarded under this program are intended to improve research capability through the support of a group of scientists and engineers, including undergraduate students, graduate students and post-doctoral fellows, working on a common scientific theme in one or more EPSCoR jurisdictions. These awards are not appropriate mechanisms to provide support for individual faculty science and technology research projects. While the academic, non-profit and industrial research communities are welcome to lead or to participate in applications, a strong component of student education in research is required for all applicants.
Applications are open to all accredited U.S. colleges and universities, nonprofits, and private sector companies in EPSCoR jurisdictions.
DOE anticipates that a total of up to $35 million in current fiscal year funds will be used to support awards under this Funding Opportunity Announcement.
View the Funding Opportunity Announcement, sponsored by the Office of Basic Energy Sciences within the Department’s Office of Science.
- Submission Deadline for Pre-Applications: 01/25/2023 at 4 p.m. CST (Pre-Applications must be submitted by an authorized official)
- Pre-Applications Response Date: 03/01/2023 at 4 p.m. CST
- Submission Deadline for Applications: April 4, 2023, at 10:59 p.m. CST
The objectives of the DOE EPSCoR Implementation Grants are to:
- Jumpstart capability development in the jurisdiction(s) through increased human and technical resources and research capacity development including equipment and instrumentation.
- Support a group of researchers working on a common scientific theme, with mutually supporting goals and objectives.
- When topically relevant to the subject matter of the application, promote collaborations with other institutions of higher education and industry with strong participation by students, postdoctoral fellows, and junior faculty from EPSCoR-eligible institutions. These collaborations may include institutions from other EPSCoR jurisdictions. Collaborations involving more than one institution or more than one EPSCoR jurisdiction, while welcome, are not a requirement.
The award size will depend on the number of meritorious applications and the availability of appropriated funds.
- $1,000,000 to $1,500,000 per year for new awards
- $1,500,000 to $2,500,000 per year for renewal awards
DOE EPSCoR follows eligibility determinations made by the National Science Foundation Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (NSF EPSCoR). On this basis, entities located in the following jurisdictions are eligible to apply under this funding opportunity: Alabama, Alaska, Arkansas, Delaware, Guam, Hawaii, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virgin Islands, West Virginia and Wyoming