Workshop on 3D Printing for the Future
The 3D Printing for the Future workshop provides a 4-week, hybrid summer workshop with teams of South Dakota students and their high school and/or Tribal College and University (TCU) instructors:
1) building 3D printers using available kits,
2) learning to utilize the devices, and
3) integrating the 3D printer into their STEM courses.
The program will be conducted in the tribal communities, at South Dakota Mines (Rapid City), and virtually.
- Program Description
- How to Apply
- Continuing Education Units (CEU’s)
- Workshop Contact
- 2021 Summer Workshop Photos
In this world of rapidly changing technology, educating the next generation of decision makers and innovators is critical. The 3D Printing for the Future workshop seeks to engage South Dakota high school and/or Tribal College and University (TCU) faculty and students this summer. Sponsored by SD EPSCoR, this workshop was piloted successfully in 2021 and is an NSF EPSCoR RII Track-I program.
- 4-week summer workshop
- Faculty-mentored 3D printing experience and curriculum unit development
- $2,500 stipend for faculty
- $750 stipend for students
- On-campus housing is provided and travel reimbursement
- Educators receive 3D printer and supplies
- CEU credit available
The workshop involves four high school teachers and/or tribal college and university (TCU) faculty and 8-10 students in the four-week program, with two weeks at South Dakota Mines (Rapid City) and two weeks at the home institution (high school or TCU). Preference will be given to Native American students from high school or undergraduate students from a Tribal college or university. The ability to meet virtually at the off-campus home institution (high school or TCU) is required.
- Week 1 (July 5-8) — On South Dakota Mines’ (Rapid City) campus
Focus: Build a 3D Printer, How to 3D Print, and CAD
- Week 2 (July 11-15) — On South Dakota Mines’ campus
Focus: 3D Print Camp and Module Development
- Week 3 (July 18-22) — Off-campus home institution (high school or TCU)
Focus: CAD and Practicing 3D Printing with multiple materials
- Week 4 (July 25-29) — Off-campus home institution (high school or TCU)
Focus: 3D Module Presentation to Other Attendees and SD EPSCOR Symposium (date TBD)
How to Apply
Deadline is March 21, 2022: Teachers and student teams should apply ASAP. Resources are limited, so apply soon.
Participants will be awarded continuing education unit (CEU) certificates for this 4-week training workshop.
Dr. Katrina Donovan, Lecturer
Department of Materials and Metallurgical Engineering
South Dakota Mines
501 E. Saint Joseph Street, Rapid City, SD, 57701
Phone: 605.394.2696; Email: Katrina.Donovan@sdsmt.edu
2021 Summer Workshop
Click on the images below to take a tour through last year’s workshop.