2021 Giant Vision Competition
The South Dakota Chamber of Commerce & Industry hosts the Giant Vision Business Plan Competition each year to encourage those with innovative ideas to build their dreams in South Dakota.
2021 Competition Date
The following were selected by a panel of judges as the top qualifying entries that will advance to the next level of the competition to be held Wednesday, April 28, at the Sioux Falls Convention Center. The display area in Exhibit Hall 1 will be open to the public from 10 a.m. to 12 Noon.
These new business ventures are competing for a top prize of $20,000.
- Artic Sombrero (unique lid designed to interface with 12 oz canned beverages and replace the lid on a standard 30 oz Yeti style tumbler), Ron Heiman, Sioux Falls
- Cybernet Human LLC — iYou (application for patient access to healthcare records), Clay Strombeck and Kelly McKinney, Rapid City
- Halogi Hot Sauce (premium line of sauces), Luke Davidson and Nick Curry, Brookings and White
- Hydrolyst, LLC (process to reduce the production cost and life span of electrocatalysts used in hydrogen fuel cells), Kirstie Gildemeister and Kelsey Fitzgerald, Rapid City
- Shield Swift (rapid deployable weather protection device for the motorcycle market), Denise Robertson and Duane Langenfeld, Rapid City
- Sternum Protect (device to assist with recovery after open-chest surgeries), Angel Rollag and Amanda Rollag, Sioux Falls
These students are vying for a $5,000 first place prize for the best business idea.
- Audacia (stylish and quality travel bags), Jamie McGowan, Dakota Wesleyan University
- BioNanoTech (biocompatible and optimizable nanoparticle-based DNA carriers for genetic transformation in plants), Chinenye Izuegbunam and Jace Jerome, University of South Dakota
- BioTape (cellulose biofilm burn and wound care bandages), Kim Yip Chiok, attending the South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
- Chi-X (biomaterials that address surgical and post-surgical bleeding), Nghia Thai and Nhu Y Mai, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
- FChem Solutions (company centered on developing fluorination technologies and high-performance fluorinated materials), Siyu Mao and Jordan Kramer, University of South Dakota
- Fomeno (platform to connect thrift shoppers with online stores for specific items), Brigit Blote and Payton Ryz, University of South Dakota
- GreenLight Bionics (product development for treatment of amputees and impaired motor capability patients), Kouadio Niamba, University of South Dakota
- Lafdr (“no photo” dating app matching users based on common interests), Morgan Vagts, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology
- Prairie BioTechnology (extending shelf life of fruit with a food presentative derived from an agricultural byproduct), Matthew Cole and Logan Wolf, South Dakota State University
2021 will mark the 17th year of the Giant Vision business competition and the 15th year of a college student competition. The Governor’s Giant Vision Business Competition and Governor’s Giant Vision Student Competition were established to help citizens realize that South Dakota is the very best place to start a successful business. The program was designed as an opportunity for entrepreneurs to compete for seed money and a chance to achieve their dream. This South Dakota Chamber of Commerce & Industry program is chaired by Brad Wheeler, President of Wheeler Manufacturing in Lemmon.
The Giant Vision Competition is a program of the South Dakota Chamber of Commerce and Industry, located in Pierre.
SD EPSCoR is proud to annually sponsor the student competition, along with South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem and Citibank N.A.