Deadline: STEM Workshop for Elementary Science Teachers
Target Audience: Teachers of Grades 3-5 Science
Dates: February 3-5, 2023
Location: Crossroads Event Center, Huron, SD (100 4th St SW)
Participants will be notified to confirm their registration, as numbers are limited. Registration closes Thursday, Dec. 15.
This Feb. 3-5 workshop will be held in conjunction with the SD STEM ED conference, hosted by the South Dakota Teachers Association (SDST) and South Dakota Council of Teachers of Mathematics (SDCTM), on Feb. 2-4, 2023.
The purpose of the workshop is to support South Dakota educators in strengthening their understanding of three-dimensional science teaching within the context of a curriculum unit. The presentation format will combine guided learning, collaborative learning, and hands-on science activities and experiences. Participants will do a deep dive into the curriculum unit, Pond Scum, and plan for implementation in their own classrooms. Following the session, each participant will receive a Pond Scum kit with all the supplies needed to teach the unit in their own classrooms.
Support for Attendees
- STEM ED Conference registration
- Up to 3 nights of lodging (reimbursed at state per diem rates)
- Meals from Thursday dinner through Sunday lunch (Some meals will be provided at the venue; others will be reimbursed according to state per diem rates.)
- Reimbursement for mileage at state per diem rates.
- Stipend ($100/day for 2 days, Saturday and Sunday)
- Pond Scum classroom curriculum kit
- Reimbursement of your school for up to 1.5 days of substitute costs (if needed) for the afternoon on Thursday, Feb. 2, and/or all day on Friday, Feb. 3.
Travel costs will be reimbursed according to State of South Dakota travel regulations.
Funding for this opportunity is provided by the National Science Foundation/EPSCoR Award OIA-1849206 through South Dakota EPSCoR. Any opinions or recommendations shared during this professional development opportunity are those of the organizers and/or facilitators and do not necessarily reflect the view