- This event has passed.
SBIR/STTR Phase I & II Deadlines
March 1 • 5:00 pm
FY 2023 SBIR/STTR Phase I and Phase II opened on 11/22/2022. Project Pitches are always accepted. The next submission window close dates are 3/01/2023 and 7/05/2023.
The NSF SBIR/STTR program supports moving scientific excellence and technological innovation from the lab to the market. By funding startups and small businesses, NSF hopes to build a strong national economy and stimulate the creation of novel products, services, and solutions in the private sector with potential for broad impact; strengthen the role of small business in meeting federal research and development needs; increase the commercial application of federally supported research results; and develop and increase the US workforce, especially by fostering and encouraging participation by socially and economically disadvantaged and women-owned small businesses.
The NSF SBIR/STTR program welcomes proposals from many topics and does not have a specific technological focus (please see website at https://seedfund.nsf.gov/portfolio/ for a listing of topics and cognizant Program staff). The program is open to proposals focusing on technical and market areas not explicitly noted, and such proposals should be submitted to “Other Topics.”
View the Program Solicitation.
- Approximately $70,000,000 for SBIR Phase I
- Approximately $15,000,000 for STTR Phase I
- Estimated program budget, number of awards and average award size/duration are subject to the availability of funds.
Estimated number of awards — 250 to 360
- approximately 250-300 awards for SBIR Phase I per year, pending the availability of funds.
- approximately 60 awards for STTR Phase I per year, pending the availability of funds.
Proposals may only be submitted by certain types of organizations. Please see solicitation for details.