Registration for the 11th Annual Research Symposium
Registration is now open for the 11th Annual Research Symposium!
This annual event provides undergraduate & graduate students, along with postdocs the opportunity of participating in break-out sessions, career fair, poster sessions, professional development, and numerous opportunities for networking. The symposium also promotes South Dakota’s graduate programs and STEM employment opportunities.
Undergraduate & graduate students, postdocs, faculty and industry experts from institutions across the state will gather in person 10AM – 7PM on Wednesday, July 31 and 8AM – 3:30PM on Thursday, August 1 at the Sioux Falls Convention Center in Sioux Falls, SD to participate in the 2024 11th Annual SD EPSCoR Research Symposium. View the agenda.
Students (undergraduate & graduate) and postdocs
- Students & postdocs, please register using this form.
- Abstract form coming soon.
Block of rooms are available for the Annual Research Symposium at the Sheraton and Ramada Inn.
Room Block Start Date: Tuesday, July 30, 2024. End Date: Thursday, August 1, 2024.
- Sheraton Sioux Falls & Convention Center: Book your group rate for Annual Research Symposium SD Board of Regents. Last Day to Book the Sheraton is Friday, July 5, 2024.
- Ramada Inn: Call 605-336-1020 and use code – 073024RES for SD EPSCoR Research Symposium group block. Last day to book the Ramada Inn is June 30, 2024.
- Students: If you require lodging in Sioux Falls, please check with your research advisor first.
Requirements for Abstracts
- 300 words or fewer
- Contain the context and background information necessary to frame your research.
- Explain the goals of your research. Tell the audience why it is important and relevant.
- Briefly describe the research methods used.
- Add a description of your results along with any relevant data that your audience needs.
- End with a summary of the implications of the study.
Easels and poster boards will be provided for posters. To ensure your poster fits on our boards, please limit poster size to 3’ x 4’ (36” x 48”), landscape orientation. You must print and bring your poster with you.
About the Undergraduate Research Symposium
The SD EPSCoR Undergraduate Research Symposium was established in 2014. It brings together undergraduate students participating in South Dakota’s National Science Foundation (NSF) Research Experience for Undergraduate (REU) programs and the REU components of the state’s NASA and DOE EPSCoR and NIH EPSCoR-like programs.
The REU programs provide STEM undergraduate students with the opportunity to participate in a ten-week research experience where they conduct research under the guidance of university faculty. These experiences provide students with the opportunity to gain real-life independent research experience, strengthen their presentation skills, network with other student and faculty researchers, learn about the opportunities for graduate fellowship support from NSF and other federal agencies and learn more about South Dakota’s graduate programs.
The Undergraduate Research Symposium is hosted annually by SD EPSCoR. It is the outgrowth of an idea initially proposed by Dr. Mike West (South Dakota School of Mines and Technology). Since it was first convened, it has grown to include more than 250 attendees and 150 student research presentations.