SD EPSCoR Communications Internships
SD EPSCoR Communications Internships are available on a competitive basis. The position requires a commitment of 10-17 hours/week during the Spring semester with an opportunity for a full-time position May-July. Activities to be carried out are assigned and monitored by the SD EPSCoR Director and Communications Officer. SD EPSCoR Interns help establish positive associations with potential partners, the public, and media on behalf of the SD EPSCoR program. See below for job responsibilities and duties.
Interns must be regularly admitted students in good academic standing in their degree program and school. If selected, students must successfully pass a criminal background check and sign an intellectual property and confidentiality agreement. Passage requirements for the background check are determined by Human Resources and may be based on appointment type and expected duties.
SD EPSCoR Interns are considered temporary employees and are not employed in a permanent classification. Any grievance arising from this employment relationship shall be brought under non-faculty exempt procedures (SDBOR Policy 4.8). Interns are not eligible for benefits including sick and annual leave, health and life insurance, and retirement. SD EPSCoR is an equal employment opportunity employer. Accommodation for students with disabilities will be made per the SDBOR Disability Services Policy.
The Established Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR) was created by NSF to enhance research competitiveness by strengthening STEM capacity and capability across the United States. SD EPSCoR helps build partnerships between K-12, higher education, state government, and the private sector to enrich research, education, and economic development throughout South Dakota.
SD EPSCoR interns will assist staff and facilitate on tasks including, but not limited to, event assistance, organizational reporting and communications-related activities (web, social media and database management). Ideal candidates have the ability to write and will be able to contribute new content to SD EPSCoR publications.
- Strong analytical and quantitative abilities with excellent written and verbal communications
- Interest in communicating science-related content
- Ability to participate within a multi-disciplinary team as well as acting autonomously as appropriate
- Graphic design experience/Ability to learn new software
Our internships offer you the opportunity to:
- Explore career opportunities
- Network – You will meet a variety of people through your internship allowing you to form relationships you can build on in the future
- Build a portfolio that you will be able to show potential employers
- Compensation for the internships includes a paid wage (hourly)
- Students from all disciplines and post-secondary institutions may apply for SD EPSCoR internships, but must have declared a major.
- Information on the SD EPSCoR program is available at sdepscor.org
- Contact Mel Ustad, SD EPSCoR Director by email at Mel.Ustad@sdbor.edu or call 605-274-9533.
Please send a letter of application, resume and unofficial transcript to Mel Ustad, SD EPSCoR Director, 4701 N. Career Ave., Sioux Falls, SD 57107, Mel.Ustad@sdbor.edu.